Saturday, February 27, 2010

Arrogance of Olympic proportions

Okay, so my wife tells me tonight that some Russian ice skating male has said if someone can't do a quadruple spinning putzjammer (or some crap like that), then they shouldn't win the Gold Medal. Not that I give two dead flies about it. He apparently says this after the American, who claims he opted to not do the spin or twist or whatever the hell it is, won the Gold Medal. So,in my eyes, not only do I not give two dead flies about it, I now don't give two dead flies about it, AND he's a sore loser.

So what does he do after this? He apparently awards himself a "Platinum" Medal. He can't lose graciously. He has to throw some hissy fit and do something asinine. So now, I don't give two dead flies, and he's an arrogant sore loser.

Wish one of the American hockey players would have body checked his little sequin wearing, flitting around ass into the stands. I would have DVR'd that and played it over and over and over. And over.

On that note, why do we even have the Olympics? I mean, even though it is reminiscent of when the best and the strongest competed in Ancient Greece in the original Olympic games, and is a great test for young athletes to show their talents and hard work, and brings countries together for a pride in their nation that says "we're the best by beating the best", and shows truly what America is about--working hard, performing well, and sometimes falling, but when you do, you pick yourself up and finish; and sometimes, winning--and being magnanimous either way. in this arena of ideas where every kid gets a trophy just for showing up to events, where no one country should be better than another, and where mediocrity is not just encouraged but revered, is it right for us to celebrate our country's victories over another because we are all supposed to be on the same level? Why aren't people crying, wailing, and gnashing their teeth over this? I find it kind of ironic.

But, maybe I'm just being bitter because the U.S. didn't even place in curling.

No comments: