Saturday, March 13, 2010

The American Dream

I was thinking today about "The American Dream". What exactly is it? Well, I think it's something different for every person. For some, it's making as much money as humanly possible, all the glitz and glamor and the trappings associated with it. For others, it's a warm meal and a dry place to lay your head. For most of us, I believe it's just living your life as well as possible. Being good parents, going to your job, paying your bills. Do you really need the trappings? Do you really want all the money and all the problems? The money would be nice, don't get me wrong. But, I'm not sure about the headaches.

In the Declaration of Independence, it is stated that we have self-evident truths.That we are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights. Among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Happiness itself, however, is not guaranteed. It can not be guaranteed by any edict, rule, or law. It can not be guaranteed by coveting what your neighbor has. It can not be guaranteed by any extrinsic factor. The happiness you pursue can only be found in yourself, and in your relationship with whatever form you believe that Creator takes. That is intrinsic in nature. No one, no thing, no place on Earth can make you totally happy. They help with it, but in the end, it's you and that Creator.

Every day, I wake up, go to work (or do chores around the house), come home, spend time with my family, kiss my wife, hug my boys, and know that I did my best. Every morning I wake up, I try to remember to thank God for every day, and for the ability and the freedom to do what I need and want to do. I am living the American dream.

Keep the positive attitude. I may sometimes seem frustrated, irritable, tired, and cranky, but then God gives me a proverbial slap on the back of the head and reminds me to be thankful for everything He has given me. And all I really need. My life, my freedom, and my family. I understand my needs, and my wants. And pursuing those unalienable rights--celebrating those self evident truths--help me appreciate the wants and the value of it all. For this, I am truly thankful.

No comments: