Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jumping in with both feet

My eyes are almost bleeding. Seriously. This whole political landscape is enough to make someone pack up, and move to a country that will have more liberties and freedoms than we may have in November.

Like Communist China.

I love my country. I really do. Ask anyone who knows me. They'll tell you that I bleed Red, White, and Blue. Unfortunately, in many circles, that labels one a "redneck" and "extremist". Some places, you get in trouble for flying the American flag in front of your house. All too often, if you're too patriotic and care about this country, you're mocked and chastised and ridiculed. Being a patriot makes labels you for life. So, go ahead and laugh at me. Please.

Yes, I am a political and social conservative. I am a white, Christian, conservative. I'm not conservative because I grew up middle-class or because I want to make tons of money, or because I want dirty air and water. Let me explain why I am conservative. You see, my grandfather taught us to fend for ourselves. No relying on government to help us out if we can help ourselves. Work-and if you don't work, you don't eat. period. He taught us to love God, our families, and our freedoms and responsibilities that come with living in the greatest country on Earth. I have been taught to love life, respect the environment (he was a farmer and a hunter, so he was a true conservationist), and be good to each other. These are lessons I have learned with fervor, and voice with unabashed pride. And lessons I will gladly hand down to my children.

Am I a kook? Am I a freak? Maybe so, but I am an American. But then, what do I know? I am just a guy who is clinging to his religion and guns....or, as I like to say, asserting my Constitutional rights.

No comments: