Saturday, December 04, 2010

Wow. I am almost the father of two eight year olds. Their birthday is in two weeks. Couldn't be happier. Christmas is coming. The holidays are a great time for all of us.

I have the walkway lights out and some decorations in the front yard. I watched "Invasion of the Christmas Lights (part deaux), and the wife turned to me and asked, "Does that make you excited?" I said, "No, it makes my back hurt."

We're kind of bizarre, though. Both us being Lutheran, we have an advent calendar. It has little boxes you can put stuff in. Well, there's one of Santa's elves who leaves notes in the boxes, and he gives the boys small little toys every night. They get up in the morning and read the note and play with (or use) whatever the elf leaves. Oh, and the elf's name is Walter. Last year, it was Tink.

It's kind of this pagan, Hanukkah, Christmas type of thing. But it works for us.

Oh, yeah, then there are the trees. 6, to be exact. One in the living room, one in the breakfast nook, one in the dining room, one each for the boys, and the Charlie Brown tree. Out of these six, we were only crazy enough to buy one live one.

I'm off Christmas Day, so I get to spend it with the family. And playing with my toys.

No comments: