Monday, February 02, 2009

The Day The Music Died

February 3rd, 1959. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and J P Richardson, pioneers of Rock n Roll music, all died in a plane crash outside of Clear Lake Iowa. My mother remembered that, for her, it was a sad day.

I was just a toddler when guitar virtuoso Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident.

I (vaguely) remember October 20, 1977 when Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines of Lynyrd Skynyrd lost their lives in a plane crash outside of Gillsburg, Mississippi.

I do remember, however, the day the music died for me. August 27, 1990. Four days before my 20th birthday. I was watching TV in San Antonio and learned that Stevie Ray Vaughan had died in a helicopter crash. He was buried on my 20h birthday, August 31, 1990. I dug out this song, and I played it.

Now, I post it or the memory of Buddy, Richie, J.P., Stevie Ray, Elvis, Duane Allman, Janis Joplin, Jim Morison, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Bonham, the members of Skynyrd I mentioned below, and the others who have died, and made that music I love. God bless and thank you for the music.

No comments: