Monday, September 17, 2007

Freaks and Geeks

No, this isn't about that old TV show. It's just something I was pondering this past weekend when my wife was watching her (un)reality TV.

I've noticed it all along, but especially now since I have gotten stronger in my walk with Christ. That is, how many of these shows today are not about being the real you, but what the world wants you to be. To be "of this world" instead of "in this world". Why not be yourself? Who cares what Hollywood thinks? I don't. I don't like seeing who is "wearing" whom on awards shows. As they say in Spanish, "no le hace". I do we net doesn't matter.

A guy who has another blog asked a question, "What if you dressed tacky and no one noticed?" Well, here's what would happen. If it were a designer, then it would be newest fad. In fact, that's happening.

However, I have bigger questions: Do we need Armani and Gucci and all of these other designers to dictate our happiness? Do we need the money and cars and beauty and what we can possess? Or do we need to dig down in our own lives and see what we really need to be happy?

Where is your happiness? What truly makes you happy? Keeping up with the Jones? Or is it the calmness and serenity of having Christ in your heart, as it is with me? The knowing that, once you "shuffle off this mortal coil" as Shakespeare said, you will have happiness and bliss for eternity? If you're not a believer, I challenge you to ask some of the hard questions. If you are, do what I need to do...start showing the grace of God in your life. Start now. Let people know, through compassion and love, that you care for them. And that it comes from being a follower of Christ.

Remember that Christ is protecting us. Remember John 17:15-17.

Be In this world, not of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like we are on a similar "journey" with our thoughts and convictions. I have been looking into the same bit of "consumerism" in our culture for a while now.

Keep on looking and keep on posting. Maybe we will be able to make a change.