Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Not so Blue Sky

"Blue Sky" is the Allman Brothers Band song that is stuck in my head this morning, and I WANT IT OUT!! I don't want any Allman Bros. band song in my hand, since I am boycotting them!
A little background:

I was a HUGE Allman Bros. fan for many years. I had the anthology, a few of their albums, and knew every lineup from the 60's until now. I may not have agreed with their politics, but I LOVED the blues-based rock. Then something happened that made me angry.

They fired Dickey Betts.

So? You may ask. They fired one guy. Big whoop. You have to understand that Dickey Betts was the writer of "Ramblin' Man", one of their (if not THE) biggest hits. He also wrote some great jams, like "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and "Pegasus". I even had a variation of the spelling of "Enlightened Rogues" (one of their best, but under appreciated albums) as a screen name for a while. He is arguably one of the best rock guitarists ever. On the same level as Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Billy Gibbons, Ted Nugent, and Jimi Hendrix. He gave them some of the greatest lyrics as well.

If he has just left, it would have been different. It wasn't amicable, and they won't have anything to do with him. So, I don't want anything to do with the Allmans any more. Until they bring Mr. Betts back.

No comments: